Thursday, June 25, 2009

Two living legends... one live experience

First things first.
As we all know by now, Michael Jackson has died. I'm not going to say much about it. Yes, it's sad. I can respect his music from his Jackson 5 days and during the '80s. Besides that, I don't have much to say about the man. However, no one can doubt that Thriller is the best-selling album of all time.

Another death happened today... Farrah Fawcett. We all knew it was coming, but it's still so sad. Ryan O'Neal never got to marry her. :( If her son wasn't in the position he's in right now (i.e. jail) then he would have been able to have been by her side in her final moments. I really hope he turns his life around, for the sake of his late mother.

Enough depressing stuff, okay?
Onto a concert review... Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood was last night! And it was amazing!! Nothing short of spectacular.



The huge, huge, huge surprise of the night: "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys"!!! This was the first time this tour (which consists of only 14 dates) that Winwood has played this epic song. What did he replace? Ray Charles' "Georgia On My Mind". When everyone cleared the stage after the rockin' "Forever Man", Winwood took to the piano. I was getting ready for "Georgia." Well imagine the shock when Winwood started playing the opening piano notes of "Low Spark"! Surely this is just a teaser. No, it's true! He's really going to sing "Low Spark"! No freaking way! No one was expecting this. It was quite a performance and honestly, out of the whole night, it got the best response from the audience. Winwood seemed truly pleased that he decided to play it, as he got a standing ovation. He was very appreciative.

"Can't Find My Way Home" was also very, very good. They played a long version of Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile" which was eerily amazing. Very cool song and Winwood's vocals were golden the whole night. Clapton's voice has held up quite well through the years as well.

They came out for the encore, "Cocaine" and "Dear Mr. Fantasy", which were both awesome. What a great night!! These guys still have it.
Winwood talked to the audience a little bit before blowing us all away with "Low Spark", however it was noticeable that Clapton didn't say anything to us (besides, of course, "thank you" after each song) which was kind of strange.

But nonetheless, he's a superb guitar player. Everyone knows about the "Clapton is God" slogan written on London subway walls back in the '60s. Yeah, well those people knew what they were talking about. And Clapton proves it every second he is on stage.
P.S. Winwood is KILLER on guitar! Who knew?

It's so cool to think that when some of you guys were my age, you saw legends such as Clapton and Winwood in concert. And here I am seeing them!

Full set list:
01. Had To Cry Today
02. Low Down
03. After Midnight
04. Presence of the Lord
05. Sleeping in the Ground
06. Glad
07. Well Alright
08. Tough Luck Blues
09. Pearly Queen
10. There's A River
11. Forever Man
12. Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys
13. Driftin' [acoustic]
14. How Long Blues
15. Layla [acoustic]
16. Can't Find My Way Home
17. Split Decision
18. Voodoo Chile
Encore: Cocaine; Dear Mr. Fantasy

I've got several video clips I recorded up on my Youtube. They've got great sound and a really nice, stable picture (if I may say so myself!). Here's some I've embedded for you guys.

"After Midnight":


"Presence of the Lord":


"Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys":


"Layla":


I'm in the process of uploading "Can't Find My Way Home" and "Voodoo Chile" onto Youtube, so if you want to check back later for those, here's my Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/musicforthesoul08

Sorry for the mother of a blog post... it was just such a great night! I wish you all could see them. If you didn't catch this tour, go get the Live from Madison Square Garden DVD that was recently released. I've got a copy coming on Blu ray and I'm eager to see it.

3 comments:

carolina said...

Great blog! You were so descriptive, I felt like I was there. Sounds like it was a terrific experience. Enjoyed the videos -- thanks for posting them!

Whizkid said...

Nice blog. Sounds like it was a great show.

bearockr said...

OMG! Such An Awesome Concert It Would Have Been! .. The Vids Felt Like Heaven To Me ! You Are So Lucky To Have seen EC From Such A Distance ... Wish He Could Come To My Country , Or I Could See Him In Your Country In Another 2-3 Years Before Its Too Late ! gosh !

Post a Comment

Tell me something interesting! Leave a comment or email me: classicrockforthesoul[at]yahoo[dot]com :)