Tuesday, February 24, 2009

This Day in Rock - 1993

Eric Clapton wins six Grammys, including Record of the Year (for Tears in Heaven) and Song of the Year (for "Tears in Heaven").
The song was a tribute to his four-year-old son Conor who had fallen from a 53rd story window of a NYC apartment. What a tragedy.

If you haven't read his autobiography yet and you're even just the slightest fan, I would definitely recommend it. One of the best musician biographies (auto or not) I've read in a long time.

"I believe I've got some reason to be here. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense. I ask myself that question a lot. 'Why me?' In the end, the closest I can come to is I might have something left to do which is of use to somebody else. And I don't mean on a global scale. I'm talking about maybe one other person can benefit from my existence that makes it worth God keeping me alive." -Eric Clapton


And here's a later performance of the song that won him a Grammy this day 16 years ago:



P.S. I prefer Clapton over Jimi Hendrix anyday (*hiding under desk*)

2 comments:

UnHoly Diver said...

You're not the only one. I was in my mid to late teens when Clapton and Hendrix appeared on the scene, and as good as Jimi was, I always preferred EC.

classicrockforthesoul said...

Phew! Glad I'm not the only one! :)

Post a Comment

Tell me something interesting! Leave a comment or email me: classicrockforthesoul[at]yahoo[dot]com :)