Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"I feel summer creepin' in and I'm tired of this town again..."




Well, I couldn't agree more with the title of my post (taken from "Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty).
I love it here, but I'm ready to go home for a few months. Then I'll be refreshed and ready to come back and tackle another semester! Yay for fall weather and football :)

First of all, I want to thank you all for the nice comments! The general consensus is that I have an old soul, which sounds about right.

Onto today's topic... I saw this article from last week, regarding ten "endless songs" -- do you agree/disagree with the picks? What songs would you add?

I agree with putting "Shine On" up there, but I guess the writer has never heard "Echoes" ... as awesome as the latter is, it seems to go on for.ev.er. (It did take up the whole second side of Meddle after all!)

I know a lot of people like radio-friendly, three and a half minute songs and that's it. Most people can't or don't want to just sit there and listen. They have to constantly hear that catchy beat or those catchy lyrics, and won't take the time to actually just listen to the music/words. I, however, can totally just veg out when hearing a song that's 7, 14, or 22 minutes long. Can you?

Back to stu(dying)... have a good night!
P.S. I'm changing around my layout and stuff so don't freak out if stuff looks new to you -- hopefully at the beginning of this summer, I'll make a really cool template and create a new header and all that jazz. But until then...

3 comments:

Whizkid said...

Agree with Echoes. How about "Hey Jude" (Beatles), I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home (Grand Funk Railroad), "Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" (Elton John), "And You and I" (Yes)?

Rockin' Jeff said...

Every time i hear Zep's 'Kashmir' i never want it to end. Same with 'Low spark of high heeled boys' by Traffic.

UnHoly Diver said...

I am so tired of hearing both "Stairway" and "Freebird". Part of that feeling is that the local rock station(there are actually 2 rock stations now, but the "newer" one has only been around a couple of years. Just another reason to hate Clear Channel, IMO.) has played both songs over and over and over and over and over and over... It's an automatic station-changer if either song comes on the radio.
I'm not a fan of the Boss(maybe that's why Barbara/Layla keeps taking me off her blogroll), so the same thing happens.
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" is one of my favorites, but it's rarely played in the musical black hole I call home. And Sympathy For the Devil is one of just 3 or 4 Stones songs I can even tolerate as I get older. Perhaps it's because I was a huge Beatles fan as a young teen, and saw Mick and the boys as rivals.
Would I add any? Pretty much the entire Cream catalog, "Tom Sawyer",
BTO's "Blue Collar"(a great song), Foghat's "Fool For the City", Nuge's "Stranglehold", and last but definitely not least, AC/DC's "Back in Black".

Post a Comment

Tell me something interesting! Leave a comment or email me: classicrockforthesoul[at]yahoo[dot]com :)