Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cold comfort for change

Happy Birthday, Syd. He would have been 64 today.

I don't think we'll ever really know the whole story on him. What haunted him, what sparked his mental illness (besides the drugs), what drove him away from help.

Who could forget his bizarre (yet great) contributions like "See Emily Play," "Bike," or "Arnold Layne" on Pink Floyd's earliest albums.

Perhaps the saddest of his songs is "Jugband Blues" -- his last published contribution to the band. It's Syd slipping away... "It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here. And I'm most obliged to you for making it clear that I'm not here." Very eerie and disturbing when you know the band's personal history.

Before I started this post, I looked around at all of your blogs- Seems like the majority of you have "SOYCD" as your video choice. So to mix things up a bit, here's "Wish You Were Here," also a fitting dedication to Syd:

2005- before Syd died - Waters, Gilmour, Wright, & Mason:


December 2006- after Syd died - Gilmour & Wright


If you don't know the backstory of the Wish You Were Here album, please click here and read it. It's very interesting.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

1 comment:

bearockr said...

Awww.... I felt really disheartened when I saw the 2 videos consecutively, Wish Syd was Here ! :(

Post a Comment

Tell me something interesting! Leave a comment or email me: classicrockforthesoul[at]yahoo[dot]com :)