Thursday, May 28, 2009

Buckingham Nicks, anyone?



So does anyone besides myself actually like the Buckingham Nicks record? Or even know what the heck I'm talking about?
You might be asking yourself, "Wait, what? There's a Buckingham Nicks record? Since when?"

That's right. Before Lindsey and Stevie even met Mick Fleetwood and the McVie's, they had their own record out under Polydor. It was released in September of 1973. It flopped. Then it was reissued (as you can tell from what the poster is advertising). And today it isn't even available on CD. However, there are bootlegs aplenty and it's fairly easy to track down if you're interested.
It's great. It really is.

The reason I bring this up is because a couple weeks ago on eBay I spotted a very cool BN poster (pictured above - forgive me for the glare!). It was a good price so I snatched it up. It came from the U.K. and finally arrived today!

Here's a close-up of the paragraphs (I think you can click to enlarge):



As the review says, if people had actually known about this sucker (i.e. that it even existed) back when it was released then things might have turned out differently.
Go listen to it!

To make it easy for you, here's one of their songs called "Frozen Love":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vey-TKWYulo
The music, the lyrics, the harmonies. Amazing stuff.

G'night, folks!

2 comments:

Whizkid said...

Oh, yeah, one of my favorite albums ever. Found this baby in the record bin about 1976 AFTER becoming a fan of the new Fleetwood Mac...around the time Rumours was released.

It's just a tremendous collaboration between Nicks and Buckingham. You can feel their passion and newly found love for each other in every song. And on the first listen it just jumped out at me how these two were the real genesis of the new (and hypersuccessful) Fleetwood Mac sound. Afterward, I ended up buying a few FM albums from before Buckingham Nicks just to study the difference before and after they joined the band. It's all these two. In my opinion Christine, Mick, and John are just window dressing.

The songs on this album showcase some of Lindsey's best and most subtle guitar work. The richness of sound he can get out of a single guitar track is amazing...it's all in his unique fingerpicking method which he had obviously already honed by the time this album was recorded. Studio whiz Waddy Wachtel adds some brilliant guitar work on a few songs.

Definitely recommended. I just wish they could agree to remaster it and release it on CD.

Plochmann said...

When Kim & I caught Lindsey live in NH this past fall / winter, in between encore tunes he signed an album such as this one from a fan in the front row who handed it up to him.

Post a Comment

Tell me something interesting! Leave a comment or email me: classicrockforthesoul[at]yahoo[dot]com :)