Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Love it or hate it

Wow, you guys listed some awesome albums from 1968.
I highly doubt that any of us could make such long lists from the music in 2009. They just don't make music like they used to. Simple fact.
Whizkid suggested 1973 for the next round -- any other suggestions?


This afternoon I was reading this article and this part jumped out at me:

Saying Rumours is my favorite album is about as bold as saying that my favorite book is The Great Gatsby or my favorite movie is The Godfather.


Which got me thinking...

What are some stereotypical "awesome" albums that pretty much everyone is supposed to like, but for one reason or another you just don't?

I'm not as "musically open" as most of you are -- for instance, I refuse to listen to Bob Dylan. I won't even try. Call me close-minded. I guess I am. I know what I like and I like what I know.

Just as an example, I can take the top 10 of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time" that Rolling Stone magazine put together and I don't like over half of them.

I'm sorry but (in my ears) there's no way that London Calling is superior to Who's Next. And the first time a Led Zeppelin album appears is at number 29? Give me a break. Isn't it pretty much universally accepted that they are the greatest hard rock band ever?

Well I sort of got off topic there, but comment with your opinions on the RS's messed up list or what albums you're supposed to like as a rock and roll fan, but just can't get into.

8 comments:

Vegas Linda Lou said...

One artist I totally don't get and never saw anything in is the Steve Miller Band. What-ever. So ordinary, no passion whatsoever--how did that stuff ever become classic rock?

classicrockforthesoul said...

Linda Lou - I knew you would be one of the first to comment on this one :)
I'm not into SMB either, and *gasp* never even got into "Fly Like an Eagle" even.

Rockin' Jeff said...

I love Steve Miller. His debut album, 'Sailor' (which came out in 1968 btw) is one of the greatest psychedelic albums of the era if you ask me. No hit singles. One of those records that i always listen to all the way through.

I can see how people get bored with 'Fly like an eagle' etc... His later hits are pretty played out, i'll give you that.....
Personally i love his voice. I'd pay good money just to hear him talk.

The band that really leaves me scratching my head though is U2.
Really? What's up with U2?
That one makes NOOOO sense to me whatsoever.
The Edge- a guitar hero??? Come on now people.
An effects-processor hero mabye.... Mabye.
Don't even get me started on that whiny prick singer of theirs either.
I know his name. I think his voice is so annoying i wont even type it out.

These lists are bullshit anyway, although they do always manage to get nerdy music loving folks like us talking about what's wrong with them. For what it is. It's a good thing.

Whizkid said...

Cool...a chance to list albums/artists we DON'T like!

1. Anything by Bob Dylan. I have to admit he's a great songwriter, but other than "Like a Rolling Stone", there isn't a single song of his that I don't like better when it's done by someone else.

2. Springsteen. Ditto.

3. The Band - "Music From The Big Pink"

4. Grateful Dead - Take your pick...

And here's an artist that I know a lot of people don't like, but for some reason I really do like...Bryan Adams.

carolina said...

My older brother loved Dylan and The Band. I don't care for either. Maybe the 4 year age difference bewteen us is a factor. I like everything else he listened to in the '60s and '70s. He introduced me to lots of great rock music when I was young and the love of that music continues... I've passed it on to the next generation. My work is done (until the grandkids start arriving).

classicrockforthesoul said...

@ rock and roll - I agree. I don't feel the love for U2. Or Bono solo for that matter. Thinking about that band makes me shudder.

@ Whizkid - I agree with all your picks there. Bryan Adams is alright. I didn't know many people don't like him -- he's likeable.

@ Carolina - Ditto on The Band. Eww.

I forgot one - Janis Joplin. Barf.

Perplexio said...

I know this is almost a stoning offense, but I've never been a fan of the Rolling Stones. I do own one of their albums (Beggars Banquet) but that's the only one that's ever really jumped out at me. Over time I've come to respect their earlier material even if I don't necessarily care for it. But they've essentially been caricatures of themselves since around 1975.

Cool blog btw... I found my way here from Layla's Classic Rock blog. I hope you don't mind if I start following your blog.

classicrockforthesoul said...

@ Perplexio - Welcome! Glad you stopped by. I'm honored to have a new follower!

Don't worry, we won't shun you for not digging the Stones. To each his own! I do agree though that their early stuff was their best.

Post a Comment

Tell me something interesting! Leave a comment or email me: classicrockforthesoul[at]yahoo[dot]com :)